Is Breast Lift worth it? What’s the Cost with implants in 2021
Breast lift, also medically termed as Mastopexy, is a cosmetic surgery done to restore the shape and firmness of the breasts. The procedure is often done in patients struggling with sagging breasts or drooping nipples. Some patients get it done to reduce the strain on their back and physical health, while some patients incline towards this procedure to restore their body image and self-confidence.
The surgical procedure generally includes removing excess tissues and skin from around the breasts to restore the taut and firm appearance of the breasts. Remember that undergoing a breast lift doesn’t necessarily impact the size of the breast.
If you are considering undergoing the procedure and wondering, “Breast lift – is it worth it?” We are here to answer all your questions.
Table of Contents
Feel free to skip ahead if one topic catches your eye:
- When Do You Need Breast Lift Surgery?
- Breast Lift Procedure
- How Much Does a Breast Lift Cost in 2021?
- What is the Breast Lift Recovery Time?
- Pros and Cons of the Procedure
1. When Do You Need Breast Lift Surgery?
With age, our skin starts losing its elasticity and firmness, leading to the sagging appearance of the breasts. If you are finding a sudden drastic change to the appearance of your breasts, especially dealing with the elasticity of the skin, undergoing breast lift surgery could be the answer.
Your breasts are subject to changes in their shape and size due to:
Pregnancy – Since the body prepares for lactation following the baby’s birth, the breasts become fuller and stretch during and after pregnancy. This is due to the attached ligaments in the breast that undergo rampant stretching. The sudden stretch can eventually lead to a sagging appearance.
Drastic weight fluctuations – Both gaining and losing weight causes a substantial stretch to the breast skin, leading to a sagging appearance.
Gravity – As weird as it sounds, your breasts are subjected to sagging over time due to the gravitational pull exerted on the ligaments in the breasts.
Most of the patients considering undergoing breast lift surgery either want to restore the firmness and appearance of their breasts, or they want to correct the placement and shape of their nipples in proportion to the areola.
One should get a breast lift surgery because:
- Your breasts have lost their elasticity, firmness, and volume and appear to be sagging.
- The positioning of your nipple has fallen underneath the breast crease.
- The appearance of your areola has stretched out more than normal.
- Your breasts don’t appear in proportion, one sagging more than the other.
Often, a breast lift is more effective and imposes long-lasting impacts for patients with smaller breasts. However, whether a breast lift is worth it or not for you is an answer that your consulting surgeon will be able to answer for you.
2. Breast Lift Procedure
The breast lift procedure is an extensive one. From the routine consultation to assessing whether you are an ideal fit for getting the surgery done, you need to be mindful of many factors.
To make everything a lot easier for you to understand, we have broken down the procedure into three individual sections, covering before, during, and after the procedure.
Before the procedure
- The initial step towards getting a breast lift is to talk to a cosmetic surgeon about the procedure. Your plastic surgeon will assess your medical history, do a routine physical examination and then discuss your expectations from the surgery.
- Based on the first consultation and your physical health, your surgeon will then move forward and advise getting some routine tests done before the surgery along with a few other preventive advice.
- You will have to get a mammogram done to check the positioning of your breast tissues.
- You will be advised to stop taking a few medications a week or two before the surgery, including anti-inflammatories and herbal supplements.
- You will be advised to keep a check on your weight and maintain a healthy weight before the surgery progresses.
- You will be asked to give up on certain ill habits like smoking and drinking two weeks before the surgery.
During the procedure
- On the day of the surgery, you will be admitted and then administered with general anesthesia before the surgery.
- The type of incision the surgeon makes to remove and to reshape the breast skin will depend on the discussions with the patient and what they deem the best for the patient’s needs.
- Following making the incision, the excess breast skin is cut off and removed, and restitched to restore the firmness and shape of the breasts.
- If the patient doesn’t prefer stitches, they might get the incision joined back with surgical tape or skin adhesives.
- The procedure generally spans for 2-3 hours, depending on the severity of the procedure.
After the procedure
Following the surgery, the patient’s breast is covered in gauze, and they are made to wear a surgical support bra to help the breasts retain their shape. Generally, the patient is discharged on the same day of the surgery once they have recovered from the anesthesia and are coherent enough.
3. How Much Does a Breast Lift Cost in 2021?
Although a lot stigmatized, more and more women are now prioritizing their health and self-confidence and getting the breast lift done in 2021.
The breast lift cost in 2021 in India varies between INR 1,50,000 to INR 2,00,000 without the implants. If the patient has smaller breasts and wants to augment the appearance of the same with implants, the cost will vary accordingly.
Most of the time, the breast lift cost without implants is what the patients look for since most patients with bigger breasts consider undergoing surgery following the change in its shape and appearance.
However, we’d recommend that you keep an open mind when consulting a cosmetic surgeon for the surgery since the costs are subjective to the patient’s expectations and the allied charges would be levied by the clinic.
4. What is the Breast Lift Recovery Time?
If you want a full picture of the complete recovery timeline, it will take somewhere between 6-12 weeks. The first week after the surgery is stressful since the patients complain about pain, swelling, and discomfort around their breasts.
However, all of these side effects are temporary and start getting better with the prescribed medications. You will feel soreness and pain around the breasts for the first two weeks, following which it starts getting better.
The drainage tubes attached around the incision site are removed after a few days of the surgery. This is generally done during the first follow-up consultation post-surgery. This is also when the doctor will redo your bandages.
The patient needs to wear their support surgical bra for 3-4 days after the surgery. Once the drainage pipe and the bandage are removed, your surgeon will advise you to switch to a comfortable soft support bra for the coming 2-3 weeks.
During the breast lift recovery time, make sure that you avoid direct sun exposure. The results aren’t always immediately visible, but once the pain and swelling go down, you can witness the substantial changes to the appearance of your breast.
5. Pros and Cons of the Procedure
If you are sitting here wondering if a breast lift is worth it or not, these pros and cons should be enough to help you decide.
Breast lift surgery helps to:
- Restore the youthful appearance of the breasts.
- Firming of the breast tissues for a fuller appearance.
- Reduces risks of back pain and poor posture in women.
Breast lift surgery complications include:
- If done with implants, it will require eventual changes down the line.
- It is an irreversible process.
- Recovery time is extensive and can be taxing on health.
If you are considering undergoing breast implant surgery to improve the appearance of your breasts and eventually boost your self-confidence, we’d suggest you go for it. Get the right surgeon onboard and discuss all the possibilities as transparently as possible.
At Anaysha Aesthetics, you will get the best solution based on your concern with targeted treatment options at affordable costs.