Gynaecomastia Test: How to Diagnose Gynaecomastia Through Tests?
Gynecomastia is a hormonal condition that causes abnormal enlargement of the breast tissue in men. It is a noncancerous augmentation of the male breast that stems from a variety of causes- the imbalance between estrogen and testosterone is an important cause.
Table of Contents
Feel free to skip ahead if one topic catches your eye:
- Common Symptoms of Gynaecomastia
- Diagnosis For Gynaecomastia
- How do I know if it's fat or Gynaecomastia?
- Stages of Gynaecomastia
1. Common Symptoms of Gynaecomastia
Gynecomastia diagnosis is best done early and usually presents with the following symptoms:
- Enlarged chest area
- A round-shaped chest as opposed to a flat contour
- Painful nipples
- Lumps in the breast area
- Tenderness of the areola (the dark pigmented area around the nipple)
A gynecomastia test will involve the evaluation of the following:
- Breast examination
- A detailed physical history
- Medication history and review of the same
- Laboratory investigations to detect hormone levels
2. Diagnosis of gynecomastia
The gynecomastia test is an important part of the diagnosis and involves examination as well as imaging, with necessary investigations.
After gynecomastia diagnosis, the correction of gynecomastia is usually done surgically. Diagnosis is usually made by Evaluation and physical examination and in some cases, ultrasound chest and hormonal blood evaluation may be required
Gynecological test involves
- Evaluation and physical examination - A detailed history will be taken by the doctor that includes your
- Duration of the condition
- Pain associated with it
- Associated symptoms such as erectile dysfunction, a drop in sexual desire
- Evidence of other organ diseases such as liver, kidney, or underlying endocrine abnormalities
- Physical examination of the chest is vital for gynecomastia diagnosis and involves
- Distinguishing gynecomastia from fat
- Determining the stage of gynecomastia
- Examining for discharge from the nipple and its nature
- Examination of the testicles to gauge their size and look for any tumors
- Evaluate the development of secondary sexual features such as hair growth is an important part of gynecomastia diagnosis
- Blood tests that include
- Testosterone levels
- Female hormones namely estradiol, Luteinizing hormone, and follicle-stimulating hormone
- Prolactin levels in the blood
- SHBG ( Sex hormone-binding globulin) levels that are inversely proportional to testosterone levels in the blood
- hCG levels - Human chorionic Gonadotropin
- LFT- Liver function tests to determine the extent of liver involvement
- Urine tests
3. How do I know if it’s fat or gynecomastia?
Men are often anxious about the enlarged chest but not all the time, it is gynecomastia. It can be very concerning and confusing at the same time, as many of the features of both these conditions seem and feel very similar.
Gynecomastia treatment is available at ANAYSHA Aesthetics. It is one of the best places for surgical correction of gynecomastia.
- Gynecomastia is the enlargement of the chest tissue in the male whereas fat accumulation could be the result of a sudden weight change
- In men undergoing a gynecomastia test, a gland is felt below the nipple. This gland feels rubbery more unyielding than a fat deposit.
- Breast fat is evenly distributed throughout the chest whereas a gland is localized to the area under the nipple
- In gynecomastia, the chest is usually firm whereas a fat deposit in the breast may cause sagginess of the breasts
- Fat accumulation in the chest diminishes with a healthy lifestyle and exercise while gynecomastia does not show significant improvement even with regular workouts.
- Gynecomastia is often associated with a painful lump whereas fat accumulation is not painful
4. Stages of gynecomastia
There are varying degrees of breast enlargement that are observed in men during a gynecomastia test
Stage 1- This is an initial degree of enlargement
- The small area around the areola is involved
- The enlarged area has a different skin tone when compared to the general skin tone
- The nipple is situated above the chest muscle
- The slight enlargement appears like a breast
- The enlargement is not visible over the outfit
Stage 2 - This is a slightly greater degree than Stage 1
- The area involved extends beyond the areola
- The borders are not distinguished
- The muscle is enveloped by the breast tissue
- The excess growing skin is prominent
- The breast enlargement is visible over the clothing
The gynecomastia diagnosis progresses further to the next level
Stage 3 - There is a moderate degree of involvement
- - The area involves covers a good part of the chest volume
- - The chest gains a rounded shape
- - The excess skin involved is very prominent
- - The enlarged breasts appear very awkward
- - The nipple area is well below the chest muscle
- - The skin staggering involves a sagging of the breast
Stage 4 - There is a severe degree of involvement
- - The chest area starts to appear like female breasts
- - The chest gains a well-rounded shape
- - Excess breast tissue also sags due to the excess weight
- - The excess breast tissue may sag due to the overweight
Gynecomastia treatment through surgical correction is readily available at ANAYSHA Aesthetics for men living in and around Delhi. They provide one of the best gynecomastia surgery in delhi.
As you may now know, gynecomastia is a relatively common condition in men.
It is very much manageable through surgery
To deal with gynecomastia, acknowledge that you need help and consult with our specialists. We will offer you the best correction strategy after an extensive evaluation. Meet our team today and embark on the journey of achieving the body of your dreams
ANAYSHA Aesthetics is the best cosmetic and plastic surgery clinic in Delhi that offers you the most comfortable and patient-centric approach. Visit us to see the difference.